Author Topic: Google's Secret CameraCar Armada Sighted  (Read 3371 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Google's Secret CameraCar Armada Sighted
« on: March 12, 2008, 04:23:45 PM »

Hidden deep in Mountain View, CA is Google's secret lair of specially modified Chevy Cobalt cars, equipped with roof-mounted cameras capable of shooting 360 photos. But why?

According to one intrepid tipster's account, published on Gizmodo, there were around 30 such vehicles, parked waiting to do Google's bidding. Presumably these vehicles are part of Google's StreetView mapping initiative -- an ambitious project to collect street level photographs of just about every road in the America, and integrate the photos with Google Maps.

Reference:www.gpsmagazine.com
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 04:24:57 PM by admin »

Engineer Forum

Google's Secret CameraCar Armada Sighted
« on: March 12, 2008, 04:23:45 PM »

HWY PE

• View Profile
    • EngineerBoards
Re: Google's Secret CameraCar Armada Sighted
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 03:31:20 PM »
Google Maps "Street View" is a very powerful tool.  I've used it multiple times in my work.  Live Maps "Bird's Eye View" is also extremely useful.

JofallTrade

• View Profile
Re: Google's Secret CameraCar Armada Sighted
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 09:58:52 PM »
I spotted one of these cars in the wild, a while back and had no clue what it was for.  It was driving down my dead end street when I seen it.  I thought it was some kind of storm chaser vehicle.  Sounds like a sweet gig driving around multiple cities, but I would hate to draw the short straw and have to drive around some of the bad areas and worry about someone trying to steal the car because they like the cool antenna. :)