Author Topic: Need assistance with a College Engineering Communication project. Please help!  (Read 1667 times)

davidlam92

• View Profile
I am a College Senior at the University of South Florida and am working on a project in my Engineering Communications class. I was asked to interview someone in my field about the job to get a feel for what I would expect when I begin my own career. I am a Computer Engineering major but those in the Computer Science field are more than welcome to help me. Please do not answer Yes or No; the assignment requires semi-long, complete sentences for answers to my open ended questions.  Thank you for your time!

1)   To what extent do you work by yourself and to what extent do you work with others?

2)   How do you communicate to other team members in you department in order to get the job done?

3)   How do you communicate to those outside of your field to promote or explain a project you are working?

4)   In many projects, there are many different types of engineers working together. What complications might you come across when communicating to those within the project and how do you overcome them to get the job done?

5)   Do you select the projects you are interested in or are the projects selected for you?

6)   To you, what is the most important quality and advice you can give for someone who is looking to enter this field and why?

7)   What type of training, information, or classes do you think would help the most and is the most necessary for this type of work?

8.)   Does your company offer internships and are there any available now? May I use your name as an introduction?

The professor requires that I include your Name and Contact information. If you do not feel comfortable disclosing this on the post, please private message me. Once again, I appreciate all your help.

Engineer Forum

jack

Dear David,
I will try to answer your questions,

1)   To what extent do you work by yourself and to what extent do you work with others?
              Depending on the project size everybody in a project team completes some part of the project, then we put all parts together by project leader's management.  If I stuck somewhere in the program I get suport from another project member.

2)   How do you communicate to other team members in you department in order to get the job done?
               We mainly use our company intrernal network and company emails.

3)   How do you communicate to those outside of your field to promote or explain a project you are working?
              We prefer websites especially forums that has similiar content we are working.      

4)   In many projects, there are many different types of engineers working together. What complications might you come across when communicating to those within the project and how do you overcome them to get the job done?
               Actually projects are divided into small pieces and controlled by team managers. And each department managers has meeting regularly to update the project and incase of any problem we are having meeting with other teams to over come the problem.

5)   Do you select the projects you are interested in or are the projects selected for you?
               We do not that option to select projects since it will be difficult to manage if you let team members to select their project.

6)   To you, what is the most important quality and advice you can give for someone who is looking to enter this field and why?
              It is like learning how to drive. If you do not practice you will just learn how to direve but you will not be able to. I can suggest you to take project and try to complete. Even if you can not complete the project you will learn many things.

7)   What type of training, information, or classes do you think would help the most and is the most necessary for this type of work?
               There are lots of tutorials on internet you can study on.  I can suggest you work on whatever takes your interest.

8.)   Does your company offer internships and are there any available now? May I use your name as an introduction?
            No, they do not offer internship.

The professor requires that I include your Name and Contact information. If you do not feel comfortable disclosing this on the post, please private message me. Once again, I appreciate all your help.