Author Topic: Faulty Engineering to Suspend heavy loads  (Read 2433 times)

SafetyGuy

• View Profile
Faulty Engineering to Suspend heavy loads
« on: March 20, 2010, 06:27:15 PM »
How do I ensure that Engineering shortcuts have not been taken?  
I have a copy of an Engineering Report that was completed to suspend heavy loads for an air supported sports areana.  The roof membrane is Teflon Fibreglass and may have been damaged from years of allowing ice to form on it.  According to the manufacturer, allowing ice to form on the Teflon Fibreglass would damage outer membrane and expose the lower layers to UV.  This would adversely compromise the structural integrity of the membrane.

I think shortcuts were taken to bypass the need for further Engineering.  Can an Engineer bypass the need to test and certify this membrane?  How can you safely suspend heavy loads without ensuring that the membrane is safe?  How can bypassing reports of structural problems be sound engineering judgment?

« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 06:28:53 PM by SafetyGuy »

Engineer Forum

Faulty Engineering to Suspend heavy loads
« on: March 20, 2010, 06:27:15 PM »

IslandEngineer

Re: Faulty Engineering to Suspend heavy loads
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 08:14:58 PM »
Sounds like the Engineer acted contrary to their Duties to ensure the safety of the public and protection of the environment through proactive regulatory tools. The Associationís Code of Ethics requires members to hold paramount the safety, health and welfare of the public, the protection of the environment and to promote health and safety within the workplace.
to hold paramount the safety, health and welfare of the public, the protection of the environment and to promote health and safety within the workplace.

http://www.apeg.bc.ca/enforcement/index.html

File a Complaint with APEG.