Author Topic: Contract Microwave Backhaul Engineer Rates paid by comm companies  (Read 3643 times)

CW Orange

• View Profile
The new phone and internet services force telecom system upgrades. These services require that telecom companies have new microwave radio links to provide bandwidth for their sites, and the end user to use. Otherwise the new services do not work. Think delays in audio, slow internet, jerky video etc.  Some just flat out do not have enough viable sites to use. This can be an old site, obscured by trees and new buildings so that a microwave link is not possible. Think dropped calls on iPhone. The result is that they can no longer depend on DSL circuits or competitors fiber at an exhorbitant business cost.
The telecom companies include new wimax systems like Clearwire pretty much country wide, as well as AT&T and Verizon. They all use "Body Shops" that pay a negotiated rate to the engineers. Some also try to hire direct as well but you should remember that you can be laid off in a heartbeat. Do not be so sure you are going in for the long haul. In the last few months it appears that they have hit a problem hiring engineers. This has been evident as the same jobs are advertised repeatedly by the main companies and bodyshops, and the total needed engineers has stayed pretty much the same. (Look at simplyhired.com and search for microwave backhaul engineer)  The various companies are using different titles such as;
microwave engineer
microwave backhaul engineer
microwave and transport engineer
RF Engineer
But the job descriptions are pretty much the same.
A contract engineer should remember that all these jobs are short term, and think accordingly when quoting a daily rate. You may be out of a job before long... Recruiters are going to be doing their absolute best to "Lowball" you on money. That way their bodyshop gets to keep more money from an already agreed rate to provide an engineer. That is not in your best interest at all. You are being classed as a short term commodity for chump change. So do not believe their pitch.
 Yesterday, I ran into something new. One bodyshop wanted feedback on the rates paid. This tells me that someone has noted it is a problem to hire enough engineers to do backhaul engineering.
Back at the start of 2009 I got $75 per hour contracting in California. Now the highest I have seen recently is a revised top rate of $60 immediately after I refused $47 per hour.  They are absolutely aware that many engineers are not up to speed on rates.
Ericsson bodyshops are trying to hire engineers for $40 to $51 an hour.
What we should be doing is sharing info on this site so everybody is dealing on a level playing field.
I suggest you do not use your real name on your posts here.  It will not take long for the word to get around the recruiters and HR. That is good in a way, as their business is on the street for all to see. They have to pay decent rates or not hire. Their manager are there because they get results. If they do not get results, i.e. engineers, they are removed for some one who recognizes reality and pays well.
So pass the word around to your friends and lets get the jungle telegraph working.

Engineer Forum

CW Orange

• View Profile
Re: Contract Microwave Backhaul Engineer Rates paid by comm companies
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 03:23:32 AM »
Checkout Careerjet.com....Search for "Transmission Network Engineer", Worldwide. Work for Microwave Backhaul and RF engineers in many countries.... just posted by Chronos

abdulhh55

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 07:11:48 PM »
 Contract Microwave Backhaul Engineer Rates paid by comm companies.Very nice and helpful information has been given in this article. Itís a most important post. Please every one visit this site quickly. Thanks.

CW Orange

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 04:05:26 AM »
Thank you. Please pass the word via your buddies in the industry. The recruiters obviously have their networks and so should we.
The Ericsson bodyshop recruiters are now paying $60 top end which is ridiculous. However, they have you paying for your car and not getting reimbursed till you get to 75 miles, and this has to be preapproved by a manager. You are potentially out the cost of your car and gas to the tune of 75miles X 20 days plus insurance and repairs to an average of $471 dollars a month. I strongly suspect that if you exceed 75 miles on a given day they will just smile and say that was not preapproved....tough. They should be paying around 50C a mile.

CW Orange

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 04:35:42 AM »
Test post

port12345

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 08:41:17 PM »
Thank you CW Orange for your good reply